Surrounding your house with trees adds aesthetic appeal and great value to your property. However, tree ownership comes with great responsibility. For example, you need to ensure your tree’s branches don’t get too close to your house.
So, how far should tree branches be from your house? In this post, we’ll discuss safe distances to maintain between your branches and your home, as advised by the best tree service company in Temecula.
Tree Safety Zones
Generally, you want to keep your trees at least ten to 20 feet from your house. For branches, try to keep the closest at least ten feet away. Remember, however, that the spacing between your house and the nearest tree will depend on factors such as the tree’s size, condition, canopy, and root system.
Ideally, you don’t want any part of a tree to touch your home. That said, planting the right kind of tree in your yard matters. Experts typically split tree safety zones into the following categories:
- Low zone: This zone should have trees that grow up to ten feet. They need at least 15 feet of clearance from any power line.
- Medium zone: This zone works well for shade trees that grow no more than 40 feet, complemented with shrubs. Keep these trees 20 feet away from your house and 50 feet away from any power line.
- Tall zone: This zone can accommodate trees that grow up to 60 feet. Keep trees in this zone at least 35 feet away from the house to minimize the risk of property damage and ensure the tree has proper root development.
Dangers of Tree Branches Hanging Over Your House
Now that you can answer the question, “How far should tree branches be from your house?” it helps to know the risks associated with having them too close. This allows you to act before things get out of hand. When branches overhang close to your home, they pose various property damage risks, including:
- Broken shingles
- Clogged gutters
- Potential window breakages
- Animal and pest infestations
- Siding damage
- Mold and mildew growth
Hire a Professional
As a homeowner, knowing how large a younger tree will grow may prove challenging. If you plan to plant new trees around your home or have questions about the branches on your existing trees, seek professional advice and recommendations from a certified arborist.
A seasoned tree care expert can also help trim tree branches and promote proper tree health. If tree removal becomes necessary, find an expert who can handle the job.
Trust Your Local Tree Experts
At E.L.M. Tree Care, we pride ourselves on being passionate tree care experts who will nurture your trees to flourish in the community. Count on us for comprehensive tree services, including:
- Tree trimming
- Tree removal
- Emergency tree service
- Stump grinding and removal
Call E.L.M. Tree Care at (951) 216-3650 to request a free estimate for tree service in Temecula, California, or nearby. Reach out for answers to the question “How far should tree branches be from your house?” or to learn about the value of professional tree trimming.